Where else can you drive off-road vehicles and shoot REAL machine guns except ARIZONA? Desert Wolf Tours has put together one AMAZING adventure that provides an Experience-of-a-Lifetime!
Half-Day Tomcar ATV Tour
Ranked #6 IN THE USA by TripAdvisor™ Traveler's Choice - Best of the Best 2022
47801 N Black Canyon Hwy
Phoenix, AZ 85087
BOOK DIRECT – Best Price Match Guarantee. Find a lower price on a 3rd Party booking site and we’ll match it.
Duration: 3 – 3.5 hours (actual tour time. Must arrive 15 minutes prior for check-in)
Adventure Schedule: Varies by season. See booking calendar for day/time availability.
Number of Guests: Minimum group size is 2.
Adventure Includes: Bottled Water, Souvenir Desert Wolf DustGaiterTM, Souvenir Desert Wolf Beverage Coozie
- TripAdvisor #1 Ranked Outdoor Activity in Scottsdale | Phoenix
- Voted BEST Guided ATV Tour in Arizona by BestThingsAZ.com
- Named “BEST Excursion in the World” by TravelGolf.com
- Featured on THE GOLF CHANNEL
- You’re COMFORTABLE – NO Stuffy Helmet and Goggles required (18 & older)!
- You’re SAFE – We have a PERFECT safety record (which is rare in the off-road industry)!
- You get to DRIVE a military-grade TomCar side-by-side ATV (This is the H1 Hummer of the ATV world)!
- EXPERIENCE Beautiful Mountain Vistas, Ancient Indian Ruins, Fresh Water Oasis, Old Stage Coach Trail and River Crossings (water crossings are weather dependent)!
- LEARN AMAZING things from our Expert Guides about the Sonoran Desert plants, animals, reptiles, insects and folklore!
Top Ranked Scottsdale | Phoenix ATV Tour for the last 12 years!
This #1 Ranked Phoenix – Scottsdale ATV tour takes you deep into the Sonoran Desert where you will see beautiful mountain vista views, incredible dynamic terrain, and may even see some Sonoran Desert creatures, both furry and scaled, scurrying about throughout their desert playground! We will lead you on a guided ATV tour as you drive an AMAZING TOMCAR ATV.
Here are highlights of your trip:
- Experience our tour that is: Ranked the #1 ATV Tour on TripAdvisor, voted the BEST OFF-PROPERTY EXCURSION IN THE WORLD by TravelGolf.com, voted BEST GUIDED ATV TOUR IN ARIZONA by BestThingsAZ.com and FEATURED on The Golf Channel!
- Drive an authentic, military-grade TOMCAR ATV.
- Spend a full 3 to 3.5 hours on the trails (many other area off-road tours are only 2 hours)! Time flies when you’re having fun!!
- Go deep into the Sonoran desert where few people ever go.
- Travel through rugged and beautiful terrain and see amazing views.
- Be entertained by the Valley’s BEST Guides as they present interesting facts, trivia and survival tips about our incredible desert.
- Receive a Desert Wolf Limited Edition DustGaiterTM absolutely FREE with each paid seat – that’s a $20 value.
- Unlike other area ATV tours, our guests who are 18 and over DO NOT need to wear a helmet and goggles. Why? Because our vehicles are extremely safe and are equipped with windshields! You won’t get “Helmet Hair” on our tours.
Please note: you must pay for a minimum of two adults to book.
3 – 3.5 hours (actual tour time. Must arrive 15 minutes prior for check-in)
Varies by season. See booking calendar for day/time availability.
Adults (12 years and older) – $189 per person (Minimum of 2 adult tickets per reservation)
Children (11 years and under) – $119 per child
Bottled Water, Souvenir Desert Wolf DustGaiterTM
AVAILABLE DISCOUNTS: (must present valid ID at time of tour to maintain discount)
$10 off pp Military/First Responder (Police, Fire, EMS) – Promo Code SERVICE10
Group discount available for groups of 12 or more guests. Call 877-613-9653 ext 2 for pricing.
A minimum of 2 adult tickets must be purchased per reservation. All vehicles are 4 seat vehicles. If you have 2 empty seats, you may be combined with another group of 2 unless a Private Vehicle Upgrade is selected during the booking process ($99 upgrade per car of 2). NOTE: This upgrade will not be refunded due to the number of guests on the tour. Use of the discount codes above must be accompanied by a valid corresponding ID at time of tour to maintain discount. Guests under 18 years of age must wear a DOT Approved helmet, by federal law, which can be supplied by DWT. Must be 16* years or older with a valid Driver’s License to operate a Tomcar. (*Minor drivers, defined as16 and 17 year olds, with a valid drivers license may operate the Tomcar with Parents Assumption of Financial Liability. Call for details.) THIS ADVENTURE DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY FIREARMS ACTIVITIES. If you are interested in our firearms activity, please view the “ATV Tour and Machine Gun Adventure” or the “Machine Guns and Suppressors” activity pages. All adventures are “rain or shine”. Cancelations for weather are at the sole discretion of Desert Wolf.
This is the best thing I have done in Arizona in the five days I’ve been here. The TomCars are really fun to drive and ride in, and that scenery you see is breathtaking. Hunter, our guide, was phenomenal, knowledgeable, and really friendly and accommodating. You will never regret doing this tour.
– Bethbc530, Chicopee, MA
This is a great experience. Our twins are 17 years old, and they brought along their 17 year old friend as well. The thrill of handling the TomCar around the desert is unmatched, and the kids really enjoyed hunting for desert creatures, including a lot of scorpion sightings. Kevin made everyone feel comfortable, and was open to as many questions as we could thing up. I will recommend this to anyone traveling to Scottsdale.
– Keith C.
What was not to love?!! Three women, a Tomcar and Kevin–the PERFECT guide on our desert tour. He was great fun and added to our knowledge of survival in an unknown environment. We can ALL 100% recommend this excursion–THE BEST!
– Valerie Lamont, Scottsdale, AZ
Do you provide Hotel/Resort pickup?
We do not offer guest transportation at this time because most guests prefer to arrange for their own transportation. There are several good reasons for that. Firstly, most of our guests want to enjoy a relaxing meal and beverage at the on-site RoadRunner Restaurant and Saloon before or after their tour. For many, this “locals” hangout is part of the Arizona Experience. In addition, many guests want to spend some time at the close-by Anthem Outlet Mall, the Pioneer Living History Museum, or charming Cave Creek, AZ. When we provide transportation, you are not be able to enjoy these things because you will arrive right before your tour and depart right after your tour. Secondly, there are many great transportation options in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. Most resorts have car rentals available right at the resort for a very reasonable price. And, for those that don’t, rental car agencies are located all over the valley. In addition to this, there are numerous transportation companies that will provide round trip transportation on your schedule, not ours. And, quickly growing in popularity are taxi services such as Uber or Lyft. Scottsdale/Phoenix visitors quickly find that they have lots of great transportation options that allow them to maximize their vacation fun.
What time do tours depart?
Tour departure times vary throughout the year, depending on the tour you select. Please check the booking calendar for the day your are interested in to see tour availability and departure times. If you have already booked a tour, please check your confirmation email for the exact time that you need to arrive for your tour. You won’t want to be late or you may very well miss the tour.
How long is the tour?
Most of our adventure tours last between 3 and 3.5 hours. Many other area tour company only spend 2 hours out on the trails. That may sound like plenty of time, but the old saying is true that “time flies when you are having fun” and you’ll want the full 3 to 3.5 hours! So, make sure you are comparing apples to apples when looking at area tours.
Where do we meet?
We meet on the outside patio of the RoadRunner Restaurant and Saloon to get acquainted and sign waivers and agreements. 47801 N. Black Canyon Highway, Phoenix, AZ, 85087. Please arrive at least 15 minutes before your tour departure time.
Are their restrictions for riders (age, etc.)?
No. Our vehicles are very safe and we leave the minimum age to the discretion of the parents or guardians. We have had kids as young a 1 year old who enjoyed our tours. We just ask that the parents or guardians take care of their children on the tour so that all the guests have an enjoyable time. All riders under the age of 18 must wear a DOT-approved safety helmet which we provide.
Can everyone drive?
Must be 16* years or older with a valid Driver’s License to operate a Tomcar. (*Minor drivers, defined as 16 and 17 year olds, with a valid drivers license may operate the Tomcar with Parents Assumption of Financial Liability. Call for details.)
How many seats in each Tomcar?
Our fleet of Tomcar’s seat up to 4 passengers per car.
What should we wear?
Our tours are “rain or shine”, so we recommend that all of our guests dress accordingly. During the winter months, it can be very chilly in the morning or after the sun goes down. Please come prepared (hats, gloves, etc.). Tomcars are open-sided vehicles and we tour the most bio-diverse and largest desert in the United States (the Sonoran Desert). We go overboard to make sure that every guest is kept safe while on tour. But, it’s not a controlled environment. Expect the unexpected. And, PLEASE check the local weather report for the day of your tour!
Should we bring a camera?
Yes. The Sonoran Desert is a gorgeous place. You will encounter some breathtaking views and will probably want to capture these memories by taking pictures. Also, our guides are more than happy to take pictures with your camera upon request.
Should we bring water?
We always bring along large coolers filled with plenty of ice and water. If you prefer your own non-alcoholic beverage, you are more than welcome to use our coolers.
Do we need a reservation in advance?
Yes. All reservations must be made in advance.
What is your cancellation policy?
We require a 48-hours advance notice (prior to your scheduled departure) in order to receive a 100% refund.
What happens if it rains?
Our tours depart “rain or shine”. Please dress for the weather and expect the time of your lives. Our guests are (mostly) sheltered from the rain in their Tomcars. You will probably get a little wet if it rains. But that’s part of the adventure right? The quality of our tours are never dampened by rain.
Are there restrooms on the tours?
No. We recommend that guests use facilities located within the RoadRunner Saloon prior to departure.
How safe are the Tomcars?
Tomcars were originally designed for Israeli Defense Forces. They weigh just under 1,800 pounds, boast independent front and rear suspension systems, and have a wide wheel base making them one of the safest off road vehicles in the World. And all of our Tomcars are equipped with a 4-point safety harness system.
Should we tip our guides?
Our guides work very hard to make sure that everyone has an exceptional time and always appreciate the thoughtfulness of their guests. Tip income goes a long way toward making Guiding a viable career option.
Can pregnant woman take the tour?
This is entirely up to the guest and the discretion of their doctor. However, if you are experiencing contractions, we think you’ll have a much different adventure waiting for you at the hospital. You can take a tour with us another time. And, please remember, once the tour goes out, there is no way to get back other than come back with the tour.
Will there be other people in my vehicle?
We are a group guided adventure that takes a convoy of vehicles out into the desert. Most of our Tomcars are 4 seaters. Groups of 3 or 4 will have their own private car. Depending on the mix of guests that we have for your scheduled tour time, a group of 2 may or may not have another group of 2 in their car. That said, all guests will have plenty of time to drive if they choose and are sure to have a spectacular time. Are you a group of 2 that would like to reserve your own private car? We have you covered. You may reserve your own private vehicle at the time of booking for a nominal upgrade fee.
Do you require safety helmets?
Federal regulations now require that anyone under the age of 18 where a DOT-approved safety helmet, and we will provide these.
How far are you from Phoenix? Scottsdale?
Our Desert Adventure departure locations are in North Phoenix and are about 30 to 40 minutes from both downtown Phoenix and Scottsdale. [Please check your Confirmation Email for the exact departures location of your Adventure.]
- TravelGolf.com“Best Off-Property Excursion in the World” Winner
- 2020 TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice Award
- Best Things AZ “Best Guided ATVTour in Arizona”
- 2011 thru 2019 – TripAdvisor “Certificate of Excellence“
- TripAdvisor “HALL OF FAME”
- Featured on THE GOLF CHANNEL’s “Morning Drive”
- Featured on FOX 10 “AZAM Morning News”
- Luxury Travel Guide “Adventure Tour Company of the Year”
- Global Business Insight – “Most Outstanding ATV Adventure Tour Provider – AZ”
- Lux Life Magazine – “Best ATV Adventure Tour Company – AZ”
- AI Business Excellence Award – “Best ATV Adventure Provider – AZ”
- Corp Today Magazine – “Best ATV Adventure Provider – AZ”
- Travel & Hospitality Awards “Learning Experience of the Year – Arizona“
- Travel & Hospitality Awards “Extreme Activity of the Year – Arizona”
- Flight Network “Top 20 – America’s Most Adventurous and Experiential Tours”
- Luxury Travel Guide “Tour Operator of the Year – Scottsdale”
- Best of Scottsdale “Best Tour Operator” Winner
- “Top Rated on Viator” Award
- Scottsdale CVB “Adventure of the Year“